If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (941) 747-2333

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

4 Ways to Avoid a Kitchen Fire

7/23/2021 (Permalink)

Appliances are necessary components of a properly functioning, usable kitchen. We need them to be able to cook and prepare food properly. As with any electrical or gas source, proper care must be taken with these elements in order to prevent a kitchen fire from breaking out.   Here are four key steps you can take to prevent a kitchen fire in your own home:   Clean Your Appliances Regularly  ?Keeping your kitchen appliances, big and small, clean and in good repair is essential to preventing a kitchen fire. Remove grease buildup from your cooktop, interior oven walls, and exhaust hood (along with its filter). Make sure to empty the crumbs from your toaster on a consistent basis. Replace appliances with frayed cords. If your appliance is not working the way it should be, have it repaired by a certified appliance repair company.   Keep Towels Away from the Cooktop ?Fabrics of any sort are fire risks if stored or even placed for a moment too close to the cooktop. Do not leave kitchen towels, pot holders, dish rags, or paper towels beside the cooktop. Even your apron can be flammable. Make sure that when you remove it, you place it far away from the cooktop. If a burner is left on accidently or a towel is left too close to a pan while cooking, these fabrics can quickly ignite and cause a kitchen fire. ? Do Not Put Metal in the Microwave?You probably know not to put metal into a microwave. However, knowing can be easier said than done. When you are hurrying to get food warmed up or are on the phone and distracted while trying to get dinner on the table, these are the times that you might forget to remove a foil cover or the metal serving spoon before putting a dish in the microwave. In addition, the takeout containers that contain aluminum might easily slip by and get placed in the microwave. All of these are fire hazards! Always double check what you are putting in the microwave before you turn it on.? Be Careful with Grease?Too much grease in a pan can be extremely dangerous due to grease splattering all over your heat source along with the potential to ignite a grease fire. To avoid this, try to minimize the amount of oil or grease in your pan. Never leave a cooking pan unattended. While this is true for any form of cooking, it is particularly important if you have oil or grease in your pan. If the oil catches fire, you need to react quickly to suffocate the grease fire with a metal lid, baking soda, or salt. ? Fire Damage Restoration Regardless of how careful you are, accidents can still happen. If you’ve experienced a kitchen fire or fire of any sort in your home, reach out to us here at SERVPRO. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. Throughout the process, we will treat your family and property with care, respect, and empathy. 

Other News

View Recent Posts